Iceland (Part 5) – The Last Day

This day began with aimlessly strolling through the streets of Reykjavík while waiting for the bus to the Blue Lagoon. A nice grandma caught us staring at a building and wondering what it was, so she asked if we’d been inside. Upon discovering that we hadn’t, she proceeded to take us on a mini tour of the area. It turned out she was on her way to a political meeting and had an hour or two to spare. First, she led us to the catholic church, pointing out embassies, museums, and government buildings along the way. At the church, she said a prayer and lit a candle while I stood in the back trying not to disturb anything. We then browsed a small souvenir shop where the proceeds go to charity. Top tip: you can tell mittens weren’t made in Iceland if they have felt lining on the inside. Next, we accompanied nice grandma to the liquor store to buy wine for her dinner. After dropping the wine off at her car, it was time for her meeting, so she brought us to the meeting place, we shook hands with a member of parliament, and then we went our separate ways.

Thinking we had some time before the bus arrived, we quickly browsed the flea market. We were wrong. We missed our bus pick up time. Why did they write “Show up half an hour early” in such small print. Cue mad dash to the bus station to try and catch it before it left for the Blue Lagoon. Running through the city with my fancy hiking backpack made me feel like I was on the Amazing Race. It was great. We didn’t catch the bus, so we took a taxi out of fear of missing our entrance time. Our taxi driver was a nice guy who spent his early years in Seattle before his family moved back to Iceland. He told us about how his family drove across the country to fly out of NYC at a time when the flight took over 20 hours. On his first day in Reykjavík, his mom gave him some money and told him he could go anywhere he wanted because it was so much safer than where they lived in the US. As a young boy, he got his first job at the age of 7 to 10 ish. Oh by the way, he worked for an English spy. What.

Finally, we arrived at the Blue Lagoon. We ate lunch at the Lava restaurant, and it. was. amazing. More specifically, the lobster sauce was the most phenomenal thing I have ever eaten in my life. I would eat it on anything and everything and please can I have a bathtub full of it. Forget the fish it was on (though that was good too). But the sauce. Yum.


Also, the receipt was the fanciest receipt I’ve ever received.


The actual lagoon part was an interesting experience. It was raining at first, which wasn’t too bad. Then the rain turned into ice, which was less enjoyable. So pretty much my body was warm and happy, and my face was being attacked by mini ice knives. Intent on getting as much as we could out of the experience, we tried both face masks, drank sparkling strawberry wine as we waded around, and braved the cold air to try out the steam room.

That night we spent all the money on dinner. I can’t remember how much money because I don’t want to remember how much money. All the money. Cue images of lobster feast.

During dinner, we noticed that we were seated in a room all alone while everyone else was in the next room over. My guess is that we were quarantined for our tourist-y attire. Or because we were Asian. I kid I kid.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s